Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Help! Help! The music's taking over...

This will only be a quick note, as I am so tired. Finals week is looming and things are getting a little nutty here in 'crazy-musicians' land. And yet, it is so hard to concentrate as home is also so close. Sometimes I feel like I am already there in my head and I've left school far behind. I get to go home next Thursday and I CANT WAIT. Even the thought of the 5 hour layover in Frankfurt doesn't put me off. I know, weirdest route ever but it was cheapest...8 hrs Boston to Frankfurt, 5 hours in Frankfurt, then 4 hrs Frankfurt to Dublin, then 2 hr drive home...leave at 3 p.m. (EST) on Thursday and arrive home at about 3 p.m. (GMT) on Friday, missing a whole nights sleep...phew!I thankfully am not completely swamped with work and definitely feel like I can get it all done in the time left, unlike other semesters where it felt like the sky was caving in on me. Maybe I am just dealing better, though my classes have been good this time round.

Little disheartening today when I got 55/100 in a proficiency on one of the digital recording boards (the big things with all the faders and knobs in studios...not as scary as you might think) but it was only worth 10% overall, so it's not the end of the world and no one else did much better (our teacher is a lovely man with nearly too much knowledge and no idea of how to impart it!). I think getting Bs and Cs and middle of the road grades is so disheartening for me because I was so used to acing everything. I was a straight A student at home and I loved my studies, though hated school. I was the weird kids, therefore no friends. But I find it so hard to get out of the mindset that I should be getting impeccable marks and trying to pass with honours, when in reality I am entering one of the few industries in the world where no one cares what your grades are. In fact many educated musicians in the contemporary industry deliberately keep it a secret, as people often see you in a different light when they find out your one of those 'book-learnin' musicians. I do want to do well, I love what I do but truthfully there is no time in college to really absorb what you are learning. You get a huge overdose of what you want to do and then have the rest of your life to sort through it and apply it and really understand it. It is just frustrating, I am one of those students who needs time away from the subject to really get it. Truthfully if I sleep on something I understand it so much better the next day when I look at it. But there is no time for that here. So I battle on and write annoying blogs that moan about my GREAT situation. My apologies, how unseasonable of me :)

On the BAL 'Festival of Blogs', I am crapping out big stylie! I want to and have been reading avidly but even the thought over writing out my favorite memories/moments makes my brain crap up and forget everything I have ever experienced. The knitting/craft one I still what to do and will tomorrow hopefully. But fear not, I am still as part of it and have a feeling that I will be very reliable from like BAL 10 all the way down to 1, so just bear with me during this next week or 2 of madness.

Finally decorated the house this weekend, so I am feeling all festive and thought I'd share a few photos of the festivities (please watch out for guest appearances by Honey and my teacosy from home...can't make a decent cup of tea without a teapot and no self respecting teapot could be without a teacosy!). I'm off now with my mug of tea and some Christmas knitting that needs doing and watching a little Sex and the City before bedtime. Night, night!!

OK. blogger won't load my pis so I'll have to do it another time. I'm sorry. Has anyone else been having trouble with blogger recently? It's been awful moody with me. OK, sorry. Next time I'll get some photos up :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

1 WEEK 2 GO!! you can do it knattyknitter!!! school and work arent really important y'know, being happy,relaxed and feeling good is important and if you keep that in your head everything else will be easy! good luck with exams and all the xmas present making!

Unknown said...

Hello! Dropping by to say hello and cheer you on through the final days of craziness!! When do you go home? Can I come with you :P

Looking forward to your posts again mamsita- they're always so thoughtful.

Emily said...

I've been trying to post, it's not going through, so this will be short to see if it's working for me now.

So pleased you'll be doing the #10 blog. SUCH a good question and inquiring minds want to know what wisdom our resident music genius would share.

If I could give you a Kit-Kat with this exam thing I would, but here's my cyber-space try. Ahem, Give her a break, give her a break, break her off a piece of that Kit-Kat Bar!

Emily said...

It worked! Whoo-hoo! I'm back! And I can't stop posting, I'm just so pleased it's working.