Sunday, December 10, 2006

16 names and the weight behind them

I think the most important part of a name is its meaning. My paternal grandfather, when he heard the name of a new child, would ask what it meant before saying if he like it or not. I believe that the meaning of a name has a lot of effect on the person it is. Well you do have to hear it all the time and would want it to have positive associations. My name Parisa (Pa-ree-sauh...Pari = fairy in Persian/Farsi), means an angel or fairy that attracts bad chi/energy and then changes it into good. My middle name, Eithne (eh-th-na), is an ancient Celtic name meaning little fire, which I have been told is quite appropriate ;) I like names with meanings, so for todays list I give you '16 names and their meanings', especially for you Mammy Yoda!

Girls names

*16...Layla (Arabic) Night
*15...Shirin (Persian) Sweet. Name of character in Persian and Turkish legend.
*14...Maryam (Persian) a Flower (Arabic) Variant of 'Mary' which means beloved. (my sister's name)
*13...Soheila (Arabic) (pronounced So-hay-lah) A variant on 'Soheil' (masculine) which is the Arabic name of the second brightest star in the sky, known in the western world as Canopus. (my other sister's name, named after my Da!)
*12...Nadia (Arabic) Tender, Delicate
*11...Aiobhe (Irish) (pronounced Ee-fa...'bh' in Irish makes 'f' sound) derived from Gaelic aoibh "beauty". It is also used as an Irish form of Eve.
*10...Niamh (Irish) (pronounced Nee-av...'mh' in Irish makes 'v' sound) Means "bright" in Irish. She was the daughter of the sea god in Irish legends. She fell in love with the poet Oisin, son of Fionn.
*9...Moya (Irish) Great

Boys Names

*8...Karim (Arabic) Noble, Generous
*7...Dara (Persian) Wealthy
*6...Jamin (Biblical) Means "right hand" in Hebrew. In the Old Testament this is the name of a son of Simeon.
*5...Kolya (Russian) Short for Nicholas/Nicholai (Little Nicholas) meaning victory. (DB's name!)
*4...Julian (English/Polish/German) Thought to come from the Greek, Julias, which was related to the Greeks name for the god, Jupiter. (DB's middle name)
*3...Conor (Irish) From the Gaelic name Conchobhar which means "dog lover" or "wolf lover". This was the name of an early king of Ulster. Irish legends tell of his tragic desire for Deirdre.
*2...Cian (Irish) Means "ancient" in Gaelic. This was the name of the mythical ancestor of the Cianachta in Irish legend. Cian was also the name of a son-in-law of Brian Boru. (My brother is called Keian (Key-on) which is the name of a Persian king and close enough to Cian for the Irish side of the family :)
*1...Fionn (Irish) Means "fair" or "white" in Gaelic. Fionn mac Cumhail was a legendary Irish hero who became all-wise by eating an enchanted salmon. He fought against the giant Fomors with his son Oisin ('Uh-sheen'...another beautiful name!) and grandson Oscar.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

very nice names indeed there, i wonder which ones youd choose for your own kids hmmmmmmmm???

Ann said...

What a beautiful list of names!!!
I'll be showing them to the hubby.

Julian and Fionn are ones that were in the running for LB and are being thought of for the new one.
I love the story of Fionn.
Also of Deirdre. LB's in the womb name was Naois.

Emily said...

What a lovely, lovely list of names. You're so right about the meaning- who knows who I might be if my name didn't mean "industrious one?" Sigh.
Glad to see the origin of Kolya; it didn't strike me as very "Irish sounding."
I was awfully glad to see the proper pronouncement of your name- I'm fairly certain I've been reading it wrong this entire time.
I'm so glad we did this one! Maybe Ann will turn out a "Kolya Jamin" or "Layla Maryam" Yoda.