Friday, March 09, 2007

Knitting myself back together...

The new Knitty is out and my word, it is phenomenal!

Particularly interesting is an article about mindful knitting and the art of knitting as meditation and a means to connect with your inner-self. This article felt a little like it wasa written just for me. I think I am going to have to print it out and stick it on my wall. I have been having a down week, and for no apparent reason as things aren't too stressful at school and I have Spring Break to look forward to. But for some reason I can't seem to shake this black cloud over my head, this omnious feeling that something is wrong or shifted off centre inside me. I feel a bit crazy to be honest. I really don't know what to say. But this article was really inspiring and made me feel better about knitting in general, that is was part of my 'keeping-myself-together' process, rather than just a hobby.

I also REALLY loved the article about yarn dyeing and immediately went out and bought food colouring when I was finished reading it. Just have to save up to get some yarn to dye. I really want to try and make a colourway for Project Spectrum, with this months colours. I am also excited to dye a colourway especially for DB so I can knit him some socks, he is never usually too enamored with colourways for 'men'. I think I will start with superwash, no chance of felting the stuff, and see what happend. I am really excited to see what I can do.

I decided to do a quick bit of photography today as I walked home from school, even though it was nearly -8 celsius (don't even ask me what that is Fahrenheit, something REALLY cold). The sky was that gorgeous deep blue it only gets in a perfectly cloudless night as the sun sets, and against of the Christian Science Centre buildings it was just too good to pass up. I was experimenting with light and manipulating it to create different images than what I was photography. I am thinking now that I could base a few colourways of some of these photos...perfect maybe for my Project Spectrum ones.


This one is actually of a star. How it made this particular shape, I'm not sure, but it was very windy and absolutely freezing so my hands were not the steadiest. Fastest photo shoot ever, I was done in 10 minutes and my hands were completely numb, not to mention the rest of me.



This and the photo below look how music sounds to me.



I think this one looks like one of those old-fashioned Victorian ballgowns, with the corseted waists, pinched in to nothing and then ballooning out into an extravagant bell shaped shirt. Can anyone else see it?



3 comments:

Unknown said...

Pretty pictures! I love how you capture energy :) I tried to find the tam/beret pattern, but couldn't find it, but did come across some gorgeous angora booties, not that I need any! :) Your dishcloth package is almost ready to ship- I'm waiting on one thing, and then it's off! I'm heading over to Knitty now to read the article you mentioned- I'm working away my own black cloud as well. I'm also so happy to hear you're going to dye some yarn! How cool is that?! Talk to you soon. Big hugs :)

Anonymous said...

those photos are class! i can def see the ballgown dress. my god knattyknitter your so artistic what with music, knitting and now photography. keep doing these arty things you really enjoy and dont worry so much about school. your so talented you shouldnt have to do homework anyway!(: im sure your DB will love anything you make him and you know you cant go wrong with socks given the holes he's made in the last pair you made him from wearing them so much!!(:

Unknown said...

Eli says thank you for the birthday wishes and for noticing just how very cool his hair is!! He has officially moved from the mullet to the shag. My mom said "It's very interesting...it's...everywhere..." haha!! I've always wanted a little boy with long hair, so I'm going to grow it out until he's 20!! Just kidding of course. If he doesn't want it or gets picked on for it, it will go, but until then VIVA LA BOHEMIANS!! :P