Monday, February 05, 2007

Superbowl Extraordinaire

What a fun day. Spent it at my friends house, eating loads and watching the superbowl, my second one ever. Unfortunately the Bears lost (I have family in Chicago and the Colts put the Patriots out, who would be local team) but it was a phenomenal event and the halftime show was specatular! Seeing Prince perform was amazing! I'm not the hugest Prince fan but that man can my a guitar sing and is one of the best songwriters EVER ('Nothing Compares 2U' as sang by Sinead O'Connor...nuff said!) Word on tbe Berklee Beach (its the stretch of pavement outside our lame, campusless college!) is that Prince will be giving this semesters graduation speech and Stevie Wonder will be performing. Please, let it be so, 'cause I graduate this May and that would just be amazing. Berklee are known for getting real names to their graduations (Aretha Franklin was there last year and Paul Simon played at the 50th anniversary concert). Keep your fingers crossed for me :)

I was a naughty girl on Friday night and after a very trying week, in which my teachers told me bare-faced lies about requirements for graduating (they told me I had to stay a whole extra semester, I told them where to go) I did a little online retail therapy with my non-existence money to cheer me up. I ordered a copy of the book 'Classic Knits' by Erica Knight and am so excited to try out the patterns, they are definitely 'classic' and what I have always wanted, perfect v-neck sweaters, a military style cardigan, messenger bags and slouchy socks.

Had been eyeing it up in Barnes and Noble, price $20 but found it online for $7.99, hardback and new. Perfect stress relief :) And then obviously to compliment the arrival of new patterns I had to splurge on some yarn, but it was also on sale and was only $2 a skein for this gorgeous olive coloured cotton. Will post pics when it all arrives. I'm very excited about it all as you may have noticed!

Have been knitting myself some wrist warmers with the beautiful yarn my sockret pal sent me many moons ago. I actually had been waiting to find just the right pattern for wrist warmers that I had wantd for so long and finally saw a pair my friend was wearing and decided I liked them and based my pattern off them. It's the first time I have really designed anything myself with out having a basic pattern given to me and I'm really proud of myself. (Not so proud of my ridiculous ball winding skills though, as pictured here. No matter how hard I try to make it neat and not too tight, I always end up making a huge tangly mess with my yarn...you should see the state of the skein for my mother's socks. The security guy in the airport dug his hands right in it to make sure there was nothing inside the ball and I haven;t been able to untangle it since)


I just love cabling, it reminds me of aran knitting from home and the colours in the yarn make it all look very tasteful. And look at those stitch markers go, proudly purchased from Brooke's etsy shop, they make me feel so decedent and special when I'm knitting. I also had loads of fun making calimetry the yarn my secretpal sent me, the lovely purple/pink colour way. It is so warm, I wear it constantly at the moment and couldn't survive the cold weather and my unruly hair without it.


I put some little flowers on the front of it and a big button on the back...please excuse the blurry behind photo, hard stuff getting a pic from behind. It was such fun to knit and I have already made another one for my flatmate. A definite favourite.

All in all, I have been having lots of knitting fun and am feeling very spoiled with all my new knits. Isn't amazing how you can make yourself feel so special by creating something for yourself? It often isn't particularly fancy or expensive and when I do it, nearly always has mistakes in it, but it really shows care for yourself. It sounds selfish but it makes me feel good, like I deserve a little something for myself. I love gifting things as well so much, but after the holiday season I am so looking forward to my little parcels arriving and knitting up a snuggly something-or-other just for me :) And speaking of snuggly things, DB will be over for a visit in a weeks time!! YEAY, he gets in Sunday and stays for 11 days I think, which I am over the moon about. Right over St. Valentine's day, which is a croc if you ask me, but still such a sweet thing for him to plan to be here for it. I've only been back 2 weeks but it is still so hard waiting for him to be here. Roll on next week!!

3 comments:

Sean Carter said...

Your creations look quite nice...do keep up the good work and do hare them with us...and hey since Valentines Day is round the corner i've posted a few stuff on that over at my blog so drop by sometime and check out tall that i've posted there...and while you're at it do share your thoughts!!!

meg said...

Hey lady! Love your calirometry. I'm waiting for some yarn to arrive to knit one up for a friend in Chicago. Can't wait.

I've been eyeing up that book, as well. If I can find it for that cheap somewhere I may have to get it, too.

Prince ruled!

meg said...

hey parisa,

my email is missmegkelly at gmail dot com. can you email me there and that way i have your email and don't have to reply via your comment section? i want to answer your questions from your comment.

cheers, meg