Friday, January 26, 2007

Once there was a girl with a curl, right in the middle of her forehead...

...and when she was good, she was very, very good and when she was bad,...well, it wasn't her fault because her sockret pal spoiled her rotten!

I hope my sockret pal won't mind but I really want to share the note that was in my parcel, that I received today (Priority post, I feel so special). It was so special and exactly what I wanted to read after a long week back at school.

'Hopefully your lips are happy with Burt and his various bees, (Parisa: in relation to my last parcel, filled with Burt's Bees)
Now they won't be chapped when you're kissing Kolya in the breeze,
For winter is upon us with all its whipping cheer,
I'd hate to send a package that would cause snickers or even jeers, (P: not possible, you are too kind Pal!)
My hope is that these boxes can make at least one day great,
That the stresses from professors and peers evaporate,
That it's contents would provide comfort while your so very far away,
Maybe the items will give relief from the horrors of the day,
So may you have a thousand smiles from my silly gift hunch,
While you nourish the grumbles in your tummy with all the things to munch,
I know school can be horrendous and make downtown sparse,
No need for me to tell you work can be a huge pain in the arse, (P: LOL! 'Arse' I'm so proud, Pal is Irish at heart!)
Yet still something in the winter encourages the spirit,
No matter how crazy know you will endure it,
So may the contents of this parcel keep you alert and warm,
Straight off to Boston I'm sending some Southern charm!'



In the parcel was a box of biscotti, some raspeberry cordial filled dark chocolates, a bag of Starbucks Bold expresso roast, a trio of Starbucks flavoured syrups, a beautiful kitchen set of coffee toppings in lovely glass jars, a Starbucks card (I was thinking of you Brooke, the whole time I was opening this, my fellow Starbucks abuser...wish we could have a coffee morning), the sweetest little sock purse with pink flamingos all over it, and lastly a gift certificate for 'Webs yarn Store' for $25!! I don't know what I did to deserve a parcel like this, but thank you so much. I have quite literally been spoilt rotten by both my secret pals and I am very touched by their generosity, and plan to pay it forward to due course!

THANK YOU!!

So the first week of school is over and I am very tired (think the cold, international travel and getting back into a routine has really taken it out of me) but I am also very optimistic for this semester. I am feeling very happy with lots of my class choices and have really enjoyed meeting my new teachers, feeling a support and reassurance from them that says 'we're here to help'. I hope that my gut instincts with them will be correct and this semester will be a fresh start for me. I honestly feel like I could do very well in these classes, hopefully not jinxing it, but I hope that it will show the universe I mean business.

In order to keep my head straight I have been doing very simple knitting this week, just the mid-January pattern from my mystry dishcloth KAL and it's coming out very nicely. Unfortunately, it means I have been ignoring the socks I HAVE to finish for my Ma (started as Christmas gift, then became birthday and now probably won't be done before Valentine's day!). Also I have been ignoring the socks I am making for my sockret pal (Michelle, she's in my list of knitty friends and writes a highly entertaining blog...definitely drop by for a read), not because I don't love her (I do!) but because I think I may have bitten off more than I could chew and now that I know she reads my blog I can't ask for help without outing the socks to her. She is so sweet though, I accidently outted myself to her months ago, right when the swap started, through an email and she was so kind and didn''t want to hurt my feelings so she pretended not to know for ages, but was secretly reading my blog! She finally told me in December, I was so embarrassed but it is lovely to be able to get to know her properly know, without all the hush-hush. Well that is all the gossip for now. I am off to clean the flat for a 'we're all back in the same place' party tonight. Time for some quality catching-up time!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Starbucks- ahhh...a girl after my own heart :P We can have a coffee morning if you're in Ireland May 3-May 9th. That is the definite date we'll be there- hooray!!!!

Your Pal was awesome- that rhymming (sp?) business of hers is too cool! We should definitiely do the dishcloth swap- how about sending it the last wek of February? We don't need a limit- I want to include a few little things for you as well :) This is going to be so much fun :)

Emily said...

What a fab pal! How cool is an entire poem about her gifts? Lovely!

I so sympathize with the gift knitting! I'm doing these purple socks right now as a surprise gift for my mom (who reads my blog) so I'm only showing pics of them without any descriptions or questions or anything. And she's not even a sock knitter! Hello, Miss Paranoia!

So glad you're enjoying the dishcloth mystery kal! I've been remiss in dishcloths lately, but plan to jump back in come February.

Have an excellent week at school. I see brilliance and stand-out-ness (er?) coming your way.

Anonymous said...

So glad that you enjoyed the package. I remembered that you and your roommate bought an expesso machine and had intended to get it out to you in time for the two of you to share it...I still have one more package for you. You know me, it won't be there until March! :-)
--sockret pal