Thursday, April 19, 2007

The rain washes me clean and suddenly I can!

Well, it was raining...all weekend long. The most rain Boston had seen in years, though for me it just felt like home. In fact it was quite nice and cosy to be inside, hearing the wind howl and the rain patter the window panes. And it made for a very creative and restful weekend. It started with a bath and an impromptu poem on the wall (see previous post) on Friday night. That evening I also started my dyeing experiment for the first time and these are the results. (I have really shaky hands and try as I might none of these photos would come out in focus, do I just want to apologise now for the rubbish shots!!)



I was so proud, bounding about the apartment like a school kid. The colours didn't come out as vivid as I had hoped but I think I put too much water in the dye, so that will be something to try differently next time. The first skein (I used KnitPicks superwash sock yarn) was dyed with a sky blue and bright yellow. The green formed from mixing in the pot. It really reminds me of the beach, which I haven't seen in an age, with the yellow sand, green/blue sea and seaweed...it feels lovely and fresh. Very springtime :) And the other colourway was for Project Spectrum, using the colours for this month; yellow, green, pink. I decided to go more 'citrus' and used a lime green and a more orangy pink. It kind of reminds me of a big beach ball, but again is really zingy and fresh. I took Brookes advice (thanks Brooke!!) and just followed my instincts with the colours. I had such a good time and can not wait to try some other methods of dyeing.



I think both of these are going to end up as socks, probably nice lacy ones that I can wear in the Spring and Summer. I have been really craving some summery projects recently and once my Clessidra socks are done I am going to start on some crochet halter tops and other things to get me in a sunny mood. Spring is in the air! And speaking of more projects, here is a photo (finally) of the gorgeous sock yarn my SP10 pal sent me and a little swatch. It has taken all more will power not to cast on another project with this, but patience is a virtue and it is for the best. I think it is destined to become a pair of Queen of Cups or Baudalaire socks from Knitty, though I am a little dubious about starting another chart based pattern after the Pomatomus affair.


The Clessidra are going great however and here are 2 finished legs...WooHOO!!! Just the feet to go and I am done. Brookes yarn is so so soft to work with and the way the colours are coming out, well, lets just say that the heels of these might need replacing annually :)


But of all the knitting, dyeing, poetry-writing and fun-having, the best part of the weekend was that I finally ended my year-long songwriting block. I was blocked BAAAAAAD, hadn't written any original songs in so long and was kind of starting to give up hope and then, BAM!! After a lovely, relaxed weekend I couldn't sleep on Sunday night and at 4am I got hit with a brainwave and by 5am I had a song (I have written most of my songs late at night/early in the morning...just seems to work for me). And then, after getting a few hours sleep and saying bye to the DB again (back off to Ireland to sort out visa stuff...America is great but the immigration stuff makes me want to scream) I was messing about on my guitar I got hit again, hard. This song basically came to me nearly fully formed and even the parts that weren't there immediately arrived after with little effort on my part. And this is the first song that I really wrote with my guitar, my playing has now got to the stage where I can play what I need to accompany myself. I am hoping to record them soon and then when I get them on my myspace page I will be sure to provide a link so you can all hear. I would love your feedback and criticisms.

I am so happy and relieved to know that I haven't 'lost it', and just buzzing with energy. All I want to do is CREATE...anything...just create!

5 comments:

Ann said...

you sound like you are so green and growing right now! It's fabulous to have such creative, productive feelings and occurances. Congratulations!
I look forward to hearinng some songs!

Anonymous said...

those colors are marvelous! even if they're not as vivid as you'd hoped, they're very springy.

congrats on the creative breakthrough!
*hugs* - Your Secret Pal

Natalie said...

Congrats on your creativity - both with the dying and the writing.

Anonymous said...

oh yes creativity rocks and so do you. yarn dyeing=brilliant, song writing=brilliant and thers more to come with summer sun and holidays coming your way, the next few months are going to be sooooo goood! see almost a million words!(;

Emily said...

YES! Rock on Knatty! Perhaps we should title this post "How Knatty Got Her Groove Back..." and instead of gorgeous Taye Diggs there's gorgeous spring-y sock yarn. Hooray!