Thursday, November 23, 2006

School's OUT!


Phew! Made it through this demi-week and am ready for some R&R, pronto. Kolya's here too and we've been having a blast, dodging homework and teachers who's classes I've ditched :) Went to our first ever Ice Hockey match on Monday night, was great fun. What an atmostphere! The Boston Bruins were playing the Florida Panthers. Er, we lost...but that's OK because it was a good game and we got to sit at the very back of the very top balcony, we were soooooo high. Bestest view though for lil ol' me :) And I even busted out a little knitting between periods. It was a pair of socks I was making to pacify myself, I've been jealous of all the nice things I've been making for others that I thought it was high time I had a project on the go for me. Hardly the selfless knitter I should be (oh Brooke, you put me to shame).


Yeay, look at them go! While I'm here I have to post a pic of the amazing apple pie I made of the early thanksgiving dinner mates and I had last Friday. I was pretty proud I have to say, considering it was my first time making pastry without my mother onhand to save me from disaster. I managed the feat with only 2 cuts on my right hand (it's OK ladies and gentlemen, I'm a lefty!) and reports came back good so I was happy. I know it doesn't look quite normal, being square and all, but early on my Ma decided that circle ones just didnt last long enough with so many mouths in the house and making the slices square made it easier for us to help ourselves without destroying the rest of the pie, and so was born the square pie :) I even put little leaves on it and a heart in the middle, the dinner's hostess is heart crazy so it was just for her.

Knitting has knida been put on the back burner recently, waiting for the holiday for me to get back into it. My sockret pal socks have ground to an almighty halt. I really challenged myself with them and I'm not sure if I'm able for it now, but I'll be damned if this pattern beats me. The Christmas knitting was going great as well and then also dried up, have to get back into it, just don't want to make everyone the same things you know, what my gifts to be a bit more personalised and thoughtful than that. The only thing that's made any progress at all are the socks I started for myself. I'm using them as an opportunity to learn toe-up sock knitting and I LOVE IT! Think I'm going to make all my socks this way from now on.

Aww, I had to show you my knitting bag that my mother sentme over from home with Kol. I was given it for my 21st birthday by a friend of hers who doesn't knit anymore (crazy woman!) and I just love it, it's so cute. Wooden handles, bright red and with a mouse stealing the cats tail for yarn on the front...YES!! Too groovy! Speaking of nice parcels, I got one today from my Secret Pal...Hello Secret Pal...smarty pants even put that down as their name so I couldn't figure out who they were. SUch a sweet parcel, filled with a wee letter (Garfield, baby!), a purple circular needle holder, 6 beautiful blue stitch markers and the kitchest 'Pilgrim' salt and pepper shakers for my Thanksgiving table!! I bet she put them in their so I blend in better with the natives :)

Thank you so much for such a wonderful parcel, you obviously know me and my humour well. I couldn't stop beaming after opening it. Everything in it was just perfect.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving tomorrow everyone. I'm spending it with my other international friends and few American's who were left as school so it's going to be gooooooood!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow- really cool blog! Very interesting :) Let's see...Hockey is just too cool, isn't it? I loooove going to hockey games and haven't been since the wee one was born. I'm waiting for him to get a bit older and then we'll being taking him to the...Florida Panthers games! haha!!

Loved your apple pie with the square twist on it :) Very original :) Sorry to hear about your hand- good thing you're a lefty !! (I'm a lefty as well)

You and your DB look like you have been having a wonderful time. Were you keeping him busy building your knitting room? haha!!

Love the salt and pepper shakers!! Now no one will know you're not native!!!

Regarding my charity knitting- I'm putting no one to shame- I live in Maimi and have no need for any handknits really, but I just can't help myself, so I figure that I can help someone else, while getting my free therapy!! :) Yup, knitting is therapy for me. It calms my hyperkineticism (is that a word?) So, it's not entirely selfless *grin*

Last but not least: I'd would absolutely love to give you some of the cotton yarn. No need to pay- I got it all free from someone on freecycle.org- if you haven't signed up for it, I highly recommend it!! It's free and REALLY cool. I swear this yarn is from 1965- it's awesome. There's a little bit of mustyness to it, but all you'll need to do is lay it out for awhile or Febreeze it. It's cotton, so you'll be washing it anyway and the mustyness will totally disappear. I'll put some in with your Etsy stuff :)

OK, I'm done- HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you liked it... I figured you had to have something Thanksgiving to keep :) LOL

Emily said...

What a great holiday! How lovely to have your fella in town. And square pie- the places you Irish will take your pastry.
I too attended a hockey game recently (with a knitting friend, no less- we left The Hubbas at home!) and they are a ball, aren't they? Only as a football- American style- fan, I had to resist the urge to yell "throw the flag ref!" at every uncalled penalty.
Of course you're on my blog- I love to read your site. I only waited to put you up due to that slight (cough) hiatus you took from posting. Completely understandable. And even though you've bought that gorgeous holiday yarn of Brooke's (where does she get those crazy color schemes? So cool and appropriate and so different from all the other holiday yarns out there) I'll keep reading your blog!
Hope your Thanksgiving was fantastic! Curious to see what you did on the holiday. Rectangular turkey anyone?

Unknown said...

Hi mama! Your package is in the mail! I can't wait for you to get it :) Hope you're having a great weekend!

meg said...

your pie looked adorable! i think the square makes so much more sense.

you and db look so happy in that top picture. i'm glad you're having a good time together.

i hear you on the knitting on the back burner. i've been the same way - well until yesterday. i'm hopefully back on track but i did the same thing and started a pair of socks for myself. :)