Thursday, November 09, 2006

I am woman! I am invincible! I am tired!

It's felt like a long week, even though I get tomorrow (Friday) off. I am so glad I can sleep in tomorrow, my head is killing me. I've caught up with all my classes, talked to teachers in classes I didnt think I was doing well in and all is now right in the world...hopefully! However a nice full long-weekend of homework lies ahead of me. I love what I do but sometimes I wish I was doing something I found extremely easy and could party loads and do very little homework like the other normal uni students do. I wish I didnt feel so much pressure to achieve above and beyond because I am one of VERY few girls in my degree and am always having to prove myself. I'm in bad form because I forgot some stuff in a studio session today and my fellow engineer didnt take it well and basically relieved me of all my duties. I should have been prepared and not forgotten, but it wouldnt have taken him a second to remind me, allow me to correct myself, thus learning (interesting concept in a school!!) and then allowed me to continue. Instead I get shamed and I feel rotten about it. And he thinks I'm an idiot now.

It is very difficult to achieve constantly under this kind of pressure. Constantly being pushed to prove yourself, to prove that you should be here, a woman in a mans profession, is extremely wearing and sometimes I want to scream. The fact that I am a human being should be proof enough of my right to be in any job I wish! The contemporary music industry however doesn't agree with me, and the music production and engineering business doubly doesn't agree with me. It has a tiny percentage of women working within and the majority of those are in administrative positions, not actually doing the producing or engineering.

Well not I!! I will have my freakin' cake and eat it! I will have a fabulous career and knock the socks off anyone who doubts me. I'll have a family as well and it will be hard but I will do it and be happy. I will also be extremely tired and only ever get to knit when there is a snow day or during childbirth. And so ends my rant :) now to sleep for a millenium...ZZZzzzzzzZZZzzzzzzzzzz

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hahaha!! Knit through childbirth :) Hmmmm...

Don't let those silly boys get you down. You get knocked down in life, but it's how you pick yourself back up that counts ;) You're a minority in your industry, but just think, someday you'll be Queen! :P

I am soooooooo FREAKIN excited about going back to the Motherland, baby!! :) It will be my mom's first time in general and my first time to your beautiful little island :) We're flying into Gatwick and from there I'm taking her up into North Wales/Anglesey and we'll stay there a night then hop the ferry to Dublin (I hope the ferry runs in March/April). We'll probably stay a day or two and head up to Belfast to take the ferry into Scotland (once again hoping the ferry runs at that time of year). So, any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated regarding Ireland. I'm pretty familiar with the other parts. She wants to stay in a castle one of the nights we're there. Any good Irish castles? Oh and one more question- how do I find Shane Macgowan? :)

Emily said...

YOU GO Knatty! Sorry to resort to such trite encouragement, but it sounds like you've got an excellent handle on the situation. Down with silly boys (as Brooke calls them!) UP with Empowered Knitters! HA!

As far as the dishcloth addiction, I recommend joining http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MonthlyDishcloths/ my favorite dishcloth KAL due to the mystery element. They do two a month- one on the first and one on the sixteenth. Also, not to name drop but one of the MKD girls- Kay, I think- is a member which I think is a mite cool.

As far as my Ode to a Dishcloth, I love them because they are: 1) cheap! 2) quick knits! 3) useful! and 4) thus far, not beyond my newbie skills. Oh, and excellent gifts!

Have a great weekend! Love reading your blog!

Unknown said...

Robert Louis Stevenson was a famous male stripper in Scotland in the late 1800's....hahaha!! Nawww- actually, in my estimation, he is one of the most brilliant Scottish authors of all time- he wrote, Strange Case of Dr. Jekyl & Mr. Hyde and Treasure Island to name only a few. Good stuff :)